We are now getting closer to the surgery date of 5th December and had to return to the hospital so that they can do their final pre-operative checks and tests. We managed to get everything booked on one day again which made life much easier.
So, today Chris had the following appointments:
- X-ray: Today they took the final images of his spine that will be used to decide how much of his spine needs to be ‘fixed’. They took a total of 4 x-rays: two side-bend x-rays, a lateral x-ray and a full spine x-ray.
- Lead Paediatric Nurse – We spent almost an hour with Sally, the lead nurse who will look after Chris on the day of his surgery. She went through a very detailed pre-admission form with us and then did blood, urine, MRSA and ECG tests on Chris and finally checked his height and weight. His height was 1.72m (he should be considerably taller post surgery!)
- Mr Conlan – he reviewed the x-rays and went through the surgical procedure with us once again answering our final questions. Steve then signed the forms giving our permission for the surgery and accepting the risks associated with this form of spinal surgery…I’m trying hard not to think about those
I had been anxious about today, but once again everyone we met was so helpful, kind and well informed that we all relaxed and felt very reassured that Chris will be in safe hands. It is now just a matter of days until the ‘Big Day’ is here. And the only thing Mr Conlan said that made me stressed was that if Chris has any signs or symptoms of a cough or cold when the surgery is due they would have to postpone the surgery by 6 weeks. So – no pressure there then – I just have to keep him fit and healthy for the next 9 days…easy in a school full of coughing and sneezing children!!